How to Cook Perfect Smashed Potatoes on Your Barbeque
Potatoes are a staple of any truly good barbecue.
Everyone loves a good side dish to go with their juicy burgers and grilled meats. Introducing 'Smashed potatoes' - a fun and delicious alternative to traditional baked or boiled potatoes, which just so happen to be incredibly easy to cook on your barbecue. In this recipe, we'll show you how to make the perfect smashed potatoes and suggest some grilling accessories to help you get the best results.
- 2 lbs small potatoes (new potatoes or fingerling potatoes work best)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs (such as thyme or rosemary) - optional
- Clean and wash your potatoes, and boil them in salted water for about 15-20 minutes or until they're tender.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Using a potato masher, the flat bottom of a glass (if you're feeling rustic) or a burger press, gently press down on each potato to flatten it.
- Brush the smashed potatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. If you like, you can also sprinkle some fresh herbs over them. Make sure you've got a good split - that's the bit that gets super crunchy.
- Heat the grill to medium, brush the grate with a little bit of oil, and then place the potatoes on a grill plate or directly on to the grates, ensuring they don't fall through the gaps.
- Cook the potatoes for about 5-7 minutes on each side, or until they're crispy and browned.
- Serve the smashed potatoes hot, with your favourite meats, sauces and other picky bits - and enjoy your barbecue!
Smashed potatoes are a delicious and easy-to-make side dish for your barbeque. By cooking them directly on the grill, you'll get that delicious smoky flavour that only a barbecue can provide.
Why not make your cooking experience even better? Don't forget to check out the great selection of grilling accessories available on Landmann.co.uk, including burger presses, spatulas, and hot plates.
So fire up your barbeque and start cooking!