Healthy Recipes for 2023!
We all have our goals for this new year. Whether it's to eat better, become more organised, exercise a little bit more or to just cut down on a few things that are oh-so bad but oh-so-good - we're wishing you the best of luck!
When it comes to eating healthier, though, we'll help you out with a few low-carb, healthy recipes to try on your BBQ - perfect for any time of the year!
Take a look at some of our favourites below:
Salmon with curried yoghurt
A light, refreshing dish perfect any time of year...
- 4 salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper, divided
- 100g sliced cucumber
- 2 tbsp fresh, chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp minced shallot
- 100g low-fat plain yoghurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Preheat the grill to medium and brush salmon with one tablespoon of oil and a quarter teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Oil your grill rack. Grill the salmon until just cooked through. You'll need to turn it over once, which should take 5-6 minutes.
- While that's grilling, combine cucumber, coriander and shallot with the remaining oil and half the remaining salt and pepper.
- Whisk the yoghurt, lemon juice, curry powder, and final salt and pepper together in a separate bowl.
- Serve the salmon with the yoghurt sauce and cucumber salad. Delicious
Grilled lamb koftas
A delicious staple, straight from the Mediterranean...
- 1lb lamb mince
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup finely chopped curly parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Knead lamb, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a medium bowl, until the seasonings are evenly distributed.
- Divide into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a 8-inch sausage shape. Thread meat onto a heavy metal skewer.
- Soak a folded paper towel with oil. Hold the towel with tongs. Drag it along the grill grate toward you to oil grill rack. Do this immediately before adding the meat, as the oil will cook off quickly.
- Grill kebabs, turning every 3 to 4 minutes, until cooked through - about 10-12 minutes. Let rest on a cutting board for 4 minutes before removing skewer and slicing.
Grilled sweet potato wedges
The perfect side. Plus they go with literally any dip. Delicious.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthways, and then chop each half into 1-inch thick wedges.
- In a covered medium saucepan, cook sweet potato wedges in enough boiling water to cover until tender; drain well. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine oregano, garlic powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Coat sweet potato wedges with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with herb mixture.
- Place potato wedges on the rack of an uncovered grill over medium heat. Grill for 3 to 5 minutes, until potato wedges are lightly browned, turning once halfway through grilling.
- To serve, sprinkle potato pieces with coriander. There's your perfect side!
Grilled garlic & lemon pork tenderloin
Serve this with your favourite potato salad, and you've got a guaranteed crowdpleaser...
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1lb pork tenderloin
- Combine garlic, oil, lemon zest, rosemary, salt and pepper in a shallow baking dish. Add pork, turn to coat in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for minimum 1 hour, but ideally 4 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Soak a paper towel with oil and set near grill with tongs.
- Just before grilling, hold the oil soaked towel with tongs. Drag gently along grill grates, pulling toward you. Immediately place pork on oiled grill. Cook, turning, every 3 to 4 minutes, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the centre of the pork registers 138 degrees F. This takes between 15 to 17 minutes.
- Let pork rest on a carving board tented with foil for 5 minutes. Slice cross-wise into ½-inch slices and serve.
We hope you enjoy these recipe ideas! Let us know if you come up with anymore, and we'll feature you on our blog and socials. Be sure to tag us too!